Friday, April 04, 2008

Shel Silverstein, The Missing Piece

Shel Silverstein’s book The Missing Piece creates a system of relations between beings where the structure of desire is presented without gender, but references a division between beings that resembles gender.
It was missing a piece And it was not happy So it set off in search of its missing piece And as it rolled It sang this song – "Oh I'm looking for my missin' piece I'm looking for my missin' piece. Hi-dee-ho, here I go, Lookin' for my missin' piece."

In the first encounter It has with a pie shaped “missing piece,” It immediately deploys the rhetoric of the demanding “possessor” subject. Without asking any questions or even stopping to see if the piece fits, It sings “I've found my missin' piece." To which the pie-slice immediately objects:

"Wait a minute" said the piece "Before you go greasing your knees and fleecing your bees..."

"I am not your missing piece. I am nobody's piece. I am my own piece. and even if I was somebody's missing piece, I don't think I'd be yours!"

After the initial rejection by the first piece, It realizes that finding the object of one’s desire will not fill the lack. Instead, It must also ensure that the object of desire wants this attention--is playing the role of the objectified being. Realizing this, a later encounter is different:

"Hi!" It said. "Hi!" said the piece "Are you anybody else's missing piece?" "Not that I know of." "Well, maybe you want to be your own piece?" "I can be someone's and still be my own." "Well, Maybe you don't want to be mine." "Maybe I do!" "Maybe we won't fit..." "Well..."

"Hummmmm?" "Ummmmmm?"

It fit It fit perfectly At last! At last!
* Read the sequel here - http://www.osorhan.com/bigo/ The Missing Piece Meets the Big O

Comments:
Amazing, Alice.

We all just want a little piece.
Just a little taste.

All the love there is sent your way. :)

xoxox,

Sir Real
 
Backatcha, SR!

I really enjoyed Shel's bio....

xoxox,
-Alice
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]