Thursday, October 16, 2008

I couldn't do it, by D.H. Pang

http://dhpang.blogspot.com

Thursday, October 16, 2008

I got my absentee ballot this week, and I voted first on the state propositions because they matter more to me than any office. I left the presidential vote to the very end. When it came time for it, I just couldn't do it—I could not vote for Obama.

For me it is not about Obama vs. McCain. I consider each candidate on his or her own merits, not by comparison to the opponent. It basically came down to my conscience and Obama's own statements. I can't in good conscience vote for a candidate that supports military action in other countries. As Obama has repeatedly said, he will use military force in Pakistan if the government is unwilling or unable to combat the "militants," and he wants to increase our military presence in Afghanistan. When innocent civilians in Pakistan and Afghanistan begin to die as "collateral damage," I do not want blood on my hands.

Obama does not represent real change, as many of you believe. He definitely does not stand for the kind of change I want to see. He will not work to abolish the death penalty, institute same-sex marriage rights, get rid of the Federal Reserve and eliminate the federal income tax on wages (we wouldn't this kind of tax of we get rid of the Federal Reserve system), withdraw our troops from ALL military bases around the world, and put an end to the Electoral College, among many others. Therefore, why would I vote for a candidate that does not stand for my beliefs? Only to prevent the another candidate from winning? That's not a good enough reason for me. I do not vote out of fear nor guilt.

I voted for Ralph Nader/Matt Gonzales of the Peace and Freedom Party. And just in case you were wondering, if Nader was not on the ballot, I still would not have voted for Obama. Nader did not "steal" Obama's vote. Obama did not get my vote simply because he is not my candidate. I did not vote for the Green Party because I don't trust them anymore after what happened in 2004 (running a "safe" campaign to help Kerry win, which was unacceptable to me).

A very close friend of mine said that he feared Obama would win and then be a disappointment by turning out to be just another politician. I'm sorry to say, but I believe that is exactly what will happen. I really hope I'm wrong.

Blogged by D.H. Pang at 9:01 AM


Comments:
Thanks for your comment, s.

I'll check out that site...

All Good Things,
-Alice
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]